How to Identify and Fix Common Winter Roofing Problems
Winters in Canada can be extreme with the drops in temperature, heavy snowfalls and blizzards. This makes it essential to prepare your house, especially the roof, to withstand the cold climate. To help you be better prepared to deal with the potential damage that can happen to your roof, it helps to know what problems can occur.
Identifying Whether Your Roof Has Problems
According to our roofing experts, there are a few signs that indicate that your roof may be negatively affected by the cold winter weather:
- If you spot any new leaks inside that have originated from the attic or roof, you may have to call the professionals for roof and attic insulation.
- If you find doors have become difficult to open, it may be due to ice damming and the additional load of snow on the roof. You should call professionals for snow removal services.
- You may also notice cracks in plaster or drywall caused by the extra weight of ice and snow on the roof.
- If you find sagging on the ridgeline, know that it is time to call professional roofing experts.
It is important to spot these roofing problems as early as possible in order to determine ways to solve them and ensure your roof is winter-ready.
6 Common Roofing Problems that Homeowners Face During Winter
Condensation occurs when warm air inside your home comes in contact with a cold surface. Improper insulation and inadequate ventilation are often the two main reasons for this problem. If left unchecked, it can lead to the development of mildew and mould, compromising the structural integrity of your home.
- Ice Damming
This is one of the most common causes of roof damage. Ice dams are formed when the snow accumulates on the roof and gets frozen around warm surfaces after it starts melting. It causes further issues such as:
- Weighing down the eavestroughs when icicles are formed.
- Hampering the roof and attic ventilation.
- Preventing water from draining effectively.
- Leaky Flashings
Flashings are metal pieces typically found over joints and around vents and chimneys. They can help prevent water damage. As ice and snow build-up, moisture can leak into the flashings, making them susceptible to damage. Keep in mind the following when inspecting them:
- If water damage occurs near a vent or chimney, it is because of faulty flashing.
- If it is safe outside, bring out a ladder to ensure the flashings are adequately attached to your roof.
- Snow and Ice Buildup
Ice and snow buildup can cause severe damage if not treated properly. These damages are treated with snow removal services. Warning signs that indicate you may require snow removal service are as follows:
- The doors inside your home are getting stuck and too hard to open.
- You hear persistent popping, cracking, or creaking sounds.
- There are many cracks and leaks.
- Tree Limbs
Ice storms often cause the branches to break off and fall onto the roof or cut off the power lines. To avoid this and keep your home protected, trim the surrounding trees well before the onset of winter.
The chances of finding animals such as squirrels, rats and mice inside your home are higher in winter. Inspect your house for the following signs of pest infestation:
- Burrows or animal homes, especially in the attic.
- Chewed off pieces of wood.
- Holes in the walls or ceiling.
Avoiding Wintertime Roof Problems
Attic insulation helps regulate the temperature and ensures an air-tight seal in the house.
Roof ventilation regulates airflow inside your home to ensure that you don’t have warm air coming into contact with a cool roof during winter months.
Along with a routine checkup that involves all the aspects of your home, you must also take a detailed look at your roof to ensure it doesn’t have any weak spots that can cause significant problems during winter.
It is crucial that you use high-quality materials and superior craftsmanship in all builds to avoid any mishaps. This can help your roof last longer.
Call the Expert Roofers for Snow Removal & Other Roofing Problems During Winter
If you notice any roof problems during winter, contact the professionals immediately to assess the situation and perform any repairs.
At Integrity Roofers, we have specialists that analyze the problems and provide roof snow removal, attic insulation, and ice damming services in Toronto. To discuss your roofing problems, you may call us at 647-953-9365 or fill out our online form to get a complete estimate.