Air Sealing and Weatherizing—Get Your Roof and Attic Ready for Winter
Did you know that proper attic insulation and weatherizing can save you up to 40% on your energy bills? Not many homeowners realize that more than 50% of heat is lost through their roofs. Sealing air leaks and insulating the attic are the simplest ways to lower your heating expenses and enjoy comfortable indoor temperatures.
3 Important Benefits of Attic Insulation
According to Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC), “A healthy house is one that is well-sealed, well-insulated and properly ventilated.” This national authority compares insulation to dressing for the weather—it will protect your home from the cold/hot air outside as well as moisture and mould.
Here are 3 important points to keep in mind about attic insulation:
- It insulates your home from the top down: Since the attic is at the top of your house, it is the most vulnerable to changing temperatures. For optimal energy efficiency, your home should be properly insulated from the roof down to its foundation.
- It is a cost-effective way to weatherproof your home: The attic is the coldest part of your home in the winter and the hottest in summer. The right attic insulation can reduce heat loss and gain significantly, thus lowering your heating and cooling expenses.
- It prevents ice dams and mould formation which typically lead to expensive roof repairs: Lack of sufficient insulation and ventilation results in warm moist air in the attic which promotes mould growth. This warm air also melts roof snow to form puddles of water which will refreeze (as temperatures dip) and form ice dams. Ice damming is the most common cause of leaky roofs in winter.
Is Foam Spray Insulation the Best Solution?
Insulation is rated in terms of its R-value (a material’s resistance to heat loss). The higher the R-value, the better its insulating power. Our roofing experts will conduct a detailed assessment of your roof and attic to suggest the right type of insulation. Our premium quality foam evenly seals gaps and air leaks.
Seal Air Leaks before Adding Attic Insulation
There are many gaps and holes in your home which cause air leaks. In fact, the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) says that when combined, the effect is similar to leaving a window open during winter. To optimize your benefits, both the EPA and CMHC recommend sealing air leaks before adding attic insulation.
Pay special attention to areas around:
- Windows and doors
- Vent stacks
- Flues and chimneys
- Electrical wiring, fixtures and outlets
- Heating and air conditioning ducts
- Access hatch
Advantages of Hiring a Weatherizing Service
Weatherizing your home can save you large amounts of money in heating costs as well as prevent expensive damage to your roof.
At Integrity Roofers, our expert attic air sealing and weatherizing service will diagnose and fix any problem before they turn into bigger expenses.
We begin with a thorough inspection and analysis of your home, attic and roofing system using state-of-the-art equipment. We also provide you with a gap analysis showing where potential leaks are present. After that, we will seal all leaks with professional sealing foam and then move on to insulating your attic.
If you are looking to save on energy costs and prevent roof damage, ask about our weatherizing service. Call Integrity Roofers today at 416-736-7373.